If you love Thai food, then you will love this homemade red curry paste. It’s easy to make and will take your curries to the next level.
Red curry paste shopping list :
This curry paste is surprisingly easy to make and you can keep it in a covered bowl for up to – days in the fridge.
We have included affiliate links in this post for your convenience. You can read our disclosures here. Thanks for supporting A Hedgehog in the Kitchen!
- shrimp paste
- a small onion
- fresh garlic
- fresh organic Thai bird’s eye chilies
- lemongrass powder
- fresh ginger
- fresh kaffir lime zest
- hot chili peppers
- cilantro powder
- cumin powder
- fresh cilantro
We have had some of our favorite meals in Thailand. Thai food is so full of flavor, making it one of our absolute favorite cuisines. Hugo and I spent our honeymoon 3 years ago traveling around Asia – we visited Thailand, Cambodia and Myanmar. During our trip, we fell even more deeply in love with different types of Asian cuisine, including Thai food.
How you can use your red curry paste :
- Make red curry chicken.
- Use your red curry paste to make red curry shrimp.
- Mix it up to create red curry salmon.
Add your own twist / make a green curry paste :
- You can use fresh lemongrass, use 1 stalk to replace the 3 tsp of lemongrass powder.
- You can use dried kaffir lime zest.
- You can replace the hot chili peppers with 4 dried bird’s eye chilies.
- If you have cumin and cilantro seeds not powered, you can easily powdered them by following the same instructions used for the white and black peppers.
- You can easily keep the paste a week in your fridge.
- You can replace the shrimp paste with cashew fermented butter or just don’t use the shrimp paste to prepare a vegan curry paste.
- You can add tomato paste or add 2 big red chilies or a red bell pepper to accentuate the red color.
You may need…
We recommend using a spice mortar to grind your spices. We love this black marble spice pestle & mortar.
We used this shrimp paste in this recipe. If you can’t find it in your local grocery store, you can easily order it on Amazon.
Organic bird’s eye chilies add that special something to this recipe.
WINE PAIRING FOR YOUR NEXT CURRY
We highly recommend a full bodied Merlot to go with a red curry, such as this Altos de San Esteban La Perra Gorda 2015 (Spain).
Pin for later!
Once you make your own red curry paste, you will never buy it again!
- ½ tsp of shrimp paste
- 1 little onion (peeled)
- 4 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 8 fresh Thai bird's eye chilies
- 3 tsp of lemongrass powder
- 1 inch of fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- ½ tsp of fresh kaffir lime zest
- 2 tsp of hot chili peppers
- 2 tsp of cilantro powder
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 1 tsp of white pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp of salt
- 4 sprigs of fresh cilantro
- Blend the shrimp paste, onion, garlic and thai chilies.
- Add the lemongrass, ginger, kaffir lime zest, hot chili pepper, cilantro seeds and cumin and mix.
- Heat the white and black peppers on a frying pan, without oil, on medium heat until the peppers make some noise.
- Remove from the pan and crush with a mortar.
- Add the peppers to the mix and mix.
- Add the salt, the fresh cilantro and mix.
If you are excited about making your homemade red curry paste, you will also love these recipes :
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 2 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!