This burmese chicken curry recipe was inspired by the beautiful people we met, and the delicious cuisine we tasted, while in Myanmar.
This burmese chicken curry uses some of our fave ingredients :
- Organic chicken
- Green onions
- Sweet paprika
- Lemongrass powder
Travel with your tastebuds
One of our favorite trips we have ever taken was our honeymoon in Myanmar. It was incredibly romantic, pushed us out of our comfort zone and was a wonderful item to check off our bucketlist.
Gathering the ingredients
We make a lot of Asian dishes such as these Japanese scallops with leeks and miso and miso soup with leeks and carrots and that means we already had the spices necessary to make this meal. If you don’t have them yet, you can order organic turmeric, sweet paprika and powdered lemongrass.
A wonderful dinner to prepare à deux
If you’re looking for a romantic dinner to prepare as a couple this is a great choice. One of the best couple activities in my opinion is sharing food as a couple.
A warning about the onions
This recipe calls for grinding onions in the a spice grinder. This is a traditional Burmese way to release flavor and liquid and create exactly the right texture for your curry. We highly recommend you don’t skip over this part of the recipe because it will add that special something to the final result. However, please protect your eyes as you are preparing this curry! Something about grinding the onions has an even more painful than usual effect on the eyes. You could try these tips to protect your eyes when cutting onions or even purchase these onion goggles (amazing!).
Serve it all on Heavenly coconut rice
This amazing chicken curry you are making will be poured over one of our favorite Burmese preparations : coconut rice. While traveling through Asia, we loved tasting all of the different types of rice dishes : fried rice, sticky rice, coconut rice, seafood rice… The tasty choice are endless really.
Enjoy this Burmese Chicken Curry! What is your favorite country you have ever visited? Did you make food inspired by your trip when you got home?
Pin for later!
Looking for another curry recipe?
- 2 chicken filets
- ½ tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 onion (peeled and pounded)
- 1 onion (peeled and finely sliced)
- 1 clove of garlic (peeled and pounded)
- 1 inch of ginger (peeled and pounded)
- 1 tsp of sweet Paprika
- ½ tsp of lemongrass powder
- ¾ cup of water
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 sprigs of fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 1 onion (peeled and cut in 8)
- 1 cup of brown rice (washed and drained)
- 1 clove of garlic (peeled and finely sliced)
- 1.5 cup of coconut milk
- 1.5 cup of water
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of sugar
- Olive oil
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan on high heat.
- Add the onion, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, garlic and salt cook for a minute.
- Add the sugar and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the coconut milk and the water, cover and turn the heat to very low heat when the water boils.
- Cook for 50 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into four pieces.
- Add turmeric and salt, leave 10 minutes to marinate.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the sliced onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric and cook for a minute.
- Add the pounded onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and cook for a minute.
- Turn to high heat.
- Add the sweet paprika, chicken, a tablespoon of olive oil, lemongrass, black pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the water and turn to low heat.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro (coriander) before serving.
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 2 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!