Red curry chicken, friends! This recipe is where chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, coconut milk, cashew nuts and coriander come together to create true recipe perfection.
We have such a tasty recipe for you today. We all love Thai curries, but you are about to love yours even more when you make at home yourself!
Red curry chicken shopping list
Bring your friends around the table to share this delicious curry.
We have included affiliate links in this post for your convenience. You can read our disclosures here. Thanks for supporting A Hedgehog in the Kitchen!
- Homemade red curry paste
- Coconut milk
- Cashew nuts
- Fresh hot peppers (use your favorite)
Tips to make the perfect red curry chicken :
- Although you can buy Thai red curry paste at the store, we definitely recommend making your own. It is pretty simple and worth it for the added flavour (and cooking fun)!
- Serve this curry in sweet little bowls. Serving in a bowl ups the cozy factor of this recipe even more.
During our honeymoon, Hugo and I visited Thailand. It was such an incredible trip and if you haven’t been there yet, we definitely recommend you add it to your list. One of the things we still laugh about today from our trip was the night market in Bangkok and what weave while we were there. The most unusual thing we feasted on was a grilled grass hopper! What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten? We want to hear in the comments below! ↓
Add your own twist to this red curry chicken :
- Switch out the chicken for shrimp.
- Replace the chicken with salmon to make a red curry salmon dinner.
- Make this recipe vegan by taking out the chicken and adding lots of veggies. A great vegan combo is tofu, broccoli and red pepper.
- Instead of using homemade red curry, you could make a homemade green curry or yellow (Massaman) curry.
You may need…
We recommend using a spice mortar to grind your spices. We love this black marble spice pestle & mortar.
We used this shrimp paste in this recipe. If you can’t find it in your local grocery store, you can easily order it on Amazon.
Organic bird’s eye chilies add that special something to this recipe.
Red curry chicken wine pairing :
We highly recommend a full bodied Merlot to go with this Thai red curry chicken, such as this Altos de San Esteban La Perra Gorda 2015 (Spain).
Pin for later!
Enjoy this red curry chicken recipe filled with chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, coconut milk, cashew nuts and coriander!
- 1 onion (peeled and sliced)
- 1 clove of garlic (peeled and sliced)
- 1 inch of fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 tbsp of red curry paste
- 2 chicken breasts (cut into cubes)
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp of fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 2 fresh red chili peppers
- 1 tbsp of cashew nuts (crushed)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a wok on medium heat.
- Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the red curry paste and stir.
- Add the chicken and cook for 8 minutes.
- Pour the coconut cream and cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Serve with cilantro, cashew nuts, black pepper, red chili peppers.
If you loved this Thai red chicken curry, then you will love these other cozy recipes
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 2 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!