Vegetarian lentil meatballs are the greatest! These “meatballs” are not actually meatballs at all despite the striking resemblance! They are entirely vegetarian and 100% delicious. We will be eating them alone, on pasta, on rice and slathered with a wide variety of yummy sauces! Thank you very much.
These vegetarian lentil meatballs are a combination of lentils, brown rice, egg, wholewheat bread, carrots, onions, mushrooms, garlic, soy sauce and tasty spices.
Just turn on some of your favorite music or an awesome cooking show (we are allll about Chef’s Table at the moment!) and start making these lentil meatballs. They are quick and simple to make and packed with nutrients and flavor.
This recipe makes 25 meatballs (or pasta and vegetarian lentil meatballs for 4). We ate them for dinner on top of spaghetti and on their own, cold, the next day. They were delicious cold as well!
You could even make a double batch if you’d like to have a little stock of healthy, homemade vegetarian lentil meatballs to add to quinoa, a lovely salad, on top of rice or pasta. You probably have some other ideas too, so we’re all ears…
Lentils are tasty and a great source of calcium and iron. They are a great addition to any meal. By making them into these darling little lentil meatballs and adding onions, garlic, mushrooms and spices you will add tons of flavor to your lentil base as well.
How are you going to serve your vegetarian lentil meatballs?
If you are looking for another delicious lentil recipe, check out our lentil beets and goat cheese salad.
- 1 diced onion
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 cup of dry lentils
- 3 cups of water
- ½ cup of cooked rice
- ¾ cup of wholewheat bread
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup of grated cheese
- 2 tbsp of parmesan
- 2 diced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp of milk
- 1 tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of powdered garlic
- 1 garlic clove (sliced)
- 1 bay leef
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 3 sprigs of tarragon (chopped)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 8 sundried tomatoes
- 3 tbsp chives (dried) or 8-10 sprigs of fresh chive
- Wash and strain the lentils.
- Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add the fresh garlic and paprika and cook for a minute.
- Add the lentils and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour 3 cups of water into the pan and reduce the heat when the water boils.
- Add the bay leef, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil on medium heat in a frying pan.
- Add the onion and carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tarragon and powdered garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the chili powder and pepper and stir.
- Add the soy sauce and stir.
- Add the rice vinegar. Keep stirring.
- Reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, bread and the milk. Stir and put aside.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme from the lentils.
- Put the lentils in the bowl of your mixer.
- Mix until the lentils for about 2 minutes or until the lentils form a puree.
- Add the carrot, onion and bread.
- Add the rice and cheese
- Add the eggs and stir with a spoon to combine.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Form 1 inch balls and put them in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package.
- Serve with pasta, tomato sauce, sundried tomatoes, chives and parmesan.
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 3 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!