Spaghetti alle vongole is my favorite Italian pasta recipe. The spaghetti, the clams, the olive oil, parsley and garlic. So much garlic… It make my heart skip a bit just writing this.
I miss Italian spaghetti with clams so much here in Paris that Hugo promised to figure out exactly how to make it just like in Viareggio where we eat it every time we go to visit my family. The result of that delicious promise, was this perfect plate of spaghetti with clams. YUM.
Making spaghetti alle vongole at home
“When the moon hits your eye like a …” Have you seen Cher in Moonstruck? I have the best memories watching that film with my mom when I was little and loved every moment of watching it with Hugo for the first time too. (I digress… ) My family lives in Viareggio on the sea in Tuscany. When we are visiting her, we walk down to the beach and watch the fisherman reel in their catch for the day. I always search for the clams – my favorite.
In order to make your very own spaghetti alle vongole in your home, you need to make sure to balance all of the ingredients. When you get the quantities just right, the result is a perfect marriage of clams, garlic, parsley and olive oil on a bed of perfectly al dente spaghetti.
Can’t you just hear Italian being spoken outside your window? I feel like I can. Prepare this recipe for the one you love. This makes an amazing date night recipe and since you’ll both be eating allll the garlic, it won’t matter one little bit!
Are you planning a trip to Tuscany? Make sure you eat every single things on this list of 10 Things You Must Eat in Tuscany we prepared for you.
Looking for more tasty pasta recipes?
- 1.5 lbs of fresh clams
- 6 ounces of spaghetti
- 6 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (cut into 8 parts)
- 3 tbsp of parsley (roughly chopped)
- 2 dried chili peppers (crushed)
- ½ cup of white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the clams in a large bowl of cold water with a tbsp of salt for 30 minutes. (This will clean the clams by removing the sand.)
- Repeat 3 times.
- Ladle out one portion of water (without the sand). You will use this to add flavor to the spaghetti later.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- (Prepare the pasta and the clams side by side.)
- Cook the spaghetti for one minuted less than indicated on the package. (The spaghetti will cook for an extra minute in the frying pan.)
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan on high heat.
- Add garlic, parsley and red chili pepper.
- Heat for a minute then add the clams and white wine.
- Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, put aside and cover until the pasta is finished cooking.
- (Remove the clams that are not open, and do not eat them. They were dead before you cooked them and could make you sick.)
- Put the spaghetti in the frying pan and pour the water you set aside earlier in too.
- Heat on high heat for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy.
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 2 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!