Eggplant lasagna! This is about to become one of your favorite pasta recipes due in large part to the addictive roasted eggplant in it.
This easy pasta recipe is vegetarian, bursting with baked eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes and covered with mozzarella cheese. So much cheese. All the cheesy goodness is right here.
The joy of homemade roasted eggplant lasagna
Why does the world love lasagna? I think it’s because lasagna makes you feel cosy. It is like walking back into your childhood home or a warm hug from mom. It makes you feel nostalgic, in the best way.
It also makes adulting just a touch easier because of the prepare-the-ingredients-and-pop-it-in-the-oven thing. Oh and did we mention the leftovers? You will be so happy to have the cheesy leftovers the next day.
We love using eggplant in our homecooking – or aubergine as it’s called in the UK, and here in France. It’s delicious grilled, as a puree and stuffed. It is the star ingredient in our French ratatouille recipe.
How to choose the perfect eggplant
Do you know how to choose the perfect eggplant for your roasted eggplant lasagna recipe? Make sure you select an eggplant that is smooth, has taught, firm skin and feels heavy. Eggplants are quite sensitive and can be kept in the fridge for a few days once you bring them home. Moral of this story : make this eggplant lasagna tonight.
The perfect vegetarian recipe
We tend to eat mostly veggie recipes in our home – with a Boeuf Bourguignon or other yummy meat recipe thrown in here and there. We love making pasta and this is one of our all-time favorite vegetarian pasta recipes!
Enjoy this roasted eggplant lasagna. Save us a slice. We’re coming over!
Looking for more delicious pasta recipes?
- 12 sheets of lasagna pasta
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 eggplant (sliced)
- 2 zucchini (sliced)
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- ½ tsp of Chili pepper
- 1 cup of grated cheese (we love emmental -- but you can use your favorite!)
- 1 ball mozzarella of fresh mozzarella
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pour hot water over the lasagna sheets to soften. Leave to soak (according to the instructions on the packet).
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Put aside.
- Put the eggplant slices on a tray, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill in the oven until they begin to deepen in color.
- Flip the eggplant slices and grill for 2 more minutes.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven.
- Put the zucchini slices on a tray, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill in oven until they begin to darken slightly.
- Flip the zucchini slices over and grill for 2 more minutes.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven.
- Heat the tomato sauce with the chili pepper.
- Line a medium rectangular baking dish with 3 sheets of lasagna sheets to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Add half of the portion prepared for each of the following ingredients : the onion, eggplant and zucchini.
- Pour in a third of the tomato sauce and sprinkled with a ⅓ of the grated (emmental) cheese.
- Top with another 2 layers of lasagna sheets (or 6 sheets), then add the remaining onion, the remaining eggplant, the remaining zucchini, a third of the tomato sauce and a third of the grated (emmental) cheese.
- Cover with the remaining 3 lasagna sheets, add the remaining tomato sauce and slices of tomato.
- Put in the oven on 350°F/176°C for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add the remaining grated cheese and mozzarella.
- Put back into the oven for 5 minutes then grill for 2 minutes to create that delicious toasted top layer.
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 2 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!