This French shortbread pastry crust is a wonderful base for all kinds of desserts! It is our favorite dough.
This recipe makes two tarts for six people each. This way you can make one for tonight and freeze the rest to take out the next time you are in the mood to make a homemade tart with your very own French shortbread pastry crust!
- 230g of wholewheat flour
- 140g of softened butter
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk (set aside egg white to make meringue)
- 90g of powdered sugar
- 40g of powdered almonds
- 2 pinches of salt
- Zest of one lemon
- ½ vanilla pod
- ½ teaspoon of tonka beans
- Mix the butter and powdered sugar in your Kitchenaid on slow speed, with the leaf attachment until the mixture becomes creamy.
- Add the lemon zest then the powdered almonds and continue to mix.
- Add the egg, the egg yolk, vanilla and tonka beans.
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add the flour and salt into the mixture and continue to mix until your dough looks like sand. Do not over mix.
- Put the dough in the fridge for 4 hours minimum (overnight is best).
- Divide the dough into 2 parts (you can keep 1 part in your freezer to make another tart later).
- Roll out the dough being careful to not roll it out too thinly (3mm).
- Put in your tart dish (or in pastry circle).
- Pick with a fork (to make small air holes).
- Cover with parchment paper (hold in place with dried red beans).
- Put in oven at 150°C for 30 minutes.
- Fill with the filling of your choice!
(Fill with topping of your choice.)
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 3 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!