This is our favorite Cajun-inspired recipe : Cajun brown rice and beans.
In the past few weeks we have eaten beans and rice 3 times. This is not a typical combination here in Paris but it has been such a pleasure to enjoy it recently. This recipe is coming to you a little bit too late for this year’s Mardi Gras celebrations. It can definitely be enjoyed any time of the year so we wanted to go ahead and share it anyway!
The idea for this recipe was born out of the experience of a lovely evening of Jazz and French nostalgia at Lulu White near Pigalle.
If you love Paris and you love jazz, then you will not want to miss Lulu White. It is a hidden little gem in what was once a pretty seedy area. (For those of you who have been following the development of Paris over the past several years, you will know that a generalized gentrification has been occuring all over the city.)
From the street, you see a darling little door that is calling you to come in. Once inside, you will be taken to another time. Each Tuesday, there is live music inside and the last time we were there we had the joy of listening to some American Jazz.
Whenever there is live music, there is also one special little meal or side dish being served. There is always just one dish leaving the pressure off to decide what to have and inviting you to just take the plunge and order their one dish. In a world where we have so many options all the time, there is something simple and lovely about having just one choice.
Most recently, they were serving up simple beans and rice. Hugo has never tried the combination of white buttered rice and red kidney beans with Cajun spices and he was excited to give it a try for the first time. He loved it and vowed to make his own special recipe in the coming weeks.
One evening, he was inspired and decided it was the perfect evening to make his own version of the classic Cajun combo!
He went shopping, went into the kitchen and made (Cajun) magic!
The result was this healthy, real food, Cajun brown rice and beans full of flavor and music. This could easily become a go-to staple in your home too.
Looking for a beautiful French dessert to serve after your Cajun brown rice and beans feast? Try this Caramelized Apple Galette des Rois. The delicate puff pastry and tasty caramelized apples are the perfect way to finish off the meal!
Looking for some other tasty experiences in Paris? Take a look at these related posts :
Parisian Delights at Paris Baguette
Happiness Can Be Found at Mont du Bonheur in the Marais
Matcha Latte Love at Maison Kitsune, Paris
Bavette and Tarte Tatin at La Bavette, Paris
Sweet Surprises at Bob’s Bake Shop, Paris
Choux at Popelini, Paris
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic (minced)
- 2 dry chili peppers
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp of bourbon
- 1 tsp of mixed cajun spices
- 3 tsp of sugar
- 1 can of red beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- ¼ cup of parsley
- 2 cups of mache
- Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add cajun spices and cook for a minute.
- Pour the rice into the pan, cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the water and cover.
- Turn the heat to very low once the the water starts to boil.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, drain and wash the red beans.
- Heat olive oil in a casserole on low heat.
- Add onion, garlic and chili peppers, cook for 6 minutes.
- Add paprika and cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Add sugar and cook until the mixture begins to caramelize.
- Add the vinegar and cook until absorbed.
- Add the bourbon (careful of your eyebrows - you will create a "flambée" with this step!). Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the red beans, mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, cover and cook slowly for 20 minutes.
- Serve the rice and beans with mache. Sprinkle with parsley.
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 2 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!