This warm goat cheese salad with poached apricots is one of our favorites. It is a classic French recipe of mâche lettuce, gorgeous toast with warm goat cheese on top, cucumber and vinaigrette and updated with yellow and red heirloom tomatoes, walnuts, succulent grilled baby carrots and poached apricots.
Have you ever tried poached apricots? We poached these babies in olive oil and they are so, so good! You can add them to a salad like we did here or serve them as a side to meats (lamb, chicken) or fish (halibut, sole). They are such a burst of flavor. Another bonus is that when you make them at home, they absolutely perfume the air with the scent of apricot and olive oil. It is really divine.
Reasons we love this warm goat cheese salad with poached apricots :
♥ It reminds us of our childhood. In France, warm goat cheese salad is often a childhood and both of us, as kids (and still as adults!) loved to order warm goat cheese salad when we went out to a restaurant with our parents.
♥ It’s the perfect Summer treat.
♥ It scores major #healthychoices points without sacrificing flavor.
♥ The gooey goat cheese toast speaks for itself!
♥ Did we mention the poached apricots?!
♥ Tomatoes (good) – lettuce (good) – goat cheese (good) – walnuts (good) – cucumber (good) – subtle Joey in friends reference. #childrenofthe80s
This warm goat cheese salad with poached apricots is perfect for a warm day, refreshing, full of bursting flavor and topped with melted cheese!
We are obsessed with these heirloom yellow and red tomatoes at the moment. (Pretty much) everything we buy is organic. We tend to do most of our shopping at our local Naturalia healthfood store and supplement with Carrefour’s organic line when necessary. We walked into the store and they tomatoes just popped from the cute wooden shelves. They are colorful, juicy and full of crunchy-sweet flavor. (Crunchy sweet?! It’s a thing!)
So, we think you should make this for lunch today, or to bring on your next picnic. Just promise to make it, ok? Because, seriously, it is that good! You will thank us. 🙂 On a side note, we think this salad’s #sweetsoulmate is a gorgeous bowl of Summer strawberries with olive oil, basil and honey glaze.
- 2 Chavignol goat cheeses (between 60 and 90gr each)
- 4 little carrots
- 2 apricots
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 big yellow tomato cut in cubes
- Lettuce of your choice
- ⅓ of cucumber
- 1 tsp of honey
- 3 pinches of thyme
- 2 pinches of lavender
- Salt, pepper
- Olive oil
- 5gr of butter
- 6 walnuts
- Add the carrots to a frying pan on on low heat with a little olive oil and salt, pepper and 1 pinch of thyme. Cook them in the olive oil for 15 minutes.
- Add the butter and cook for 15 more minutes on low heat, carrots should be soft and slightly caramelized. Put aside. (Don’t wash the pan, you need the juice of the caramelized carrots for later !)
- Add the apricots and rosemary in the pan on low heat for a few minutes, until the apricots become soft and slightly caramelized too.
- Put goat cheese on slice of bread.
- Add ½ tsp of honey, a pinch of thyme and a pinch of lavender on the goat cheese and put under the grill for a couple of minutes (1-2 minutes). Be careful not to heat for too long, goat cheese melts very quickly !
- Create a base with the salad on a plate using the sliced cucumber, tomato, walnuts, carrots, and apricots. Place the slice of bread with goat cheese on top. Add vinaigrette.
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 2 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!