Today we bring you the mouthwatering sausage galette! This is the last in the series of our Brittany posts (inspired by our friends’ wedding)… for the moment! You can be sure that the next time we visit Brittany, we will bring you more wonderful recipes, photos and reviews from this beautiful part of the world!
We’re so excited that you’ve taken this journey to Brittany with us, to our friend’s wedding, as we prepared and ate a classic buckwheat galette and a delicious ham, cheese and egg galette during our traveling adventures. Today we are sharing our sausage galette recipe with you, friends!
A sausage galette is basically a buckwheat galette with a juicy sausage in the middle topped with our delicious homemade whiskey BBQ sauce. It’s seriously that easy! We served it on a bed of lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes with a classic French vinaigrette. We prefer making sausages using a barbecue. However, using a barbecue in Parisian gardens and on Parisian terraces is frowned upon. We certainly have friends who have a secret barbecue hidden on their terraces (shhh, we’ll never tell!) but unfortunately, we had no choice but to make this sausage in a frying pan, on our stove top, in our little townhouse. In any case, it worked like a charm and we got to eat a delicious sausage galette while dreaming of our adventure in Brittany right in the comfort of our own home!
The sausage galette is quintessentially Breton (meaning from the Brittany region of France). It is basically their version of the US hot dog! People are obsessed with this sausage galette in Brittany (also known as a GS or galette saucisse in French).
We eat mostly vegetarian meals at home, but every once in a while it is nice to add some meat to our menu. On those nights, this is the perfect treat.
- Pour a small amount of olive oil into a cast iron casserole on low heat.
- Add onion to the casserole with salt to sweat the onion (2 or 3 minutes).
- Add the sugar to caramelize the onion.
- Add the sausages, salt, pepper and thyme and cook slowly until the sausages are cooked through.
- Prepare a frying pan (or crepe pan) by adding a small amoutn of olive oil and heat on medium heat.
- When the pan is hot, add a buckwheat galette (cooked in advance).
- When the galette is hot, put a sausage in the middle. Add the toppings of your choice. We recommend our whiskey BBQ sauce (msutard is super yummy too !).
- Roll the galette.
- Serve on a bed of salad of your choice.
Try this treat, dear friends, and let us know how it goes! We love to hear from you!
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 3 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!