This creamy leek sweet potato soup is packed with flavor, comforting, healthy and cosy. It is a perfect, warm Winter dinner or healthy lunch. Dip some crunchy baguette into this tasty soup!
Leek sweet potato soup shopping list
We have included affiliate links in this post for your convenience. You can read our disclosures here. Thanks for supporting A Hedgehog in the Kitchen!
- Sweet potato
- Garlic cloves
- Bouillon cube
- Organic Ras El Hanout
- Hot chili flakes
- Liquid cream
- Grated cheese
It is coooooold outside. Like seriously cold. Therefore, we have made a decision, we want to eat as many nutritious and comforting meals as possible allll Winter long. We keep adding new soup recipes to our repertoire and also love Dutch Split Pea Soup, Miso Soup with Leeks and Carrots and our Autumn Glow Butternut Squash Soup.
Tips to make the perfect leek sweet potato soup
- You can enjoy this soup completely mixed or you can undermix a bit and enjoy a chunkier soup.
- Ras El Hanout is our favorite mixture of spices (along with these organic Herbes de Provence) and truly adds a special flavor to this recipe. Don’t skip it!
- Enjoy this soup with the cheesiest cheese toast.
Add your own twist to this soup :
- Use a vegetarian bouillon cube to make this a 100% vegetarian recipe.
- We topped this leek sweet potato soup with Emmental cheese, but you could grate your favorite cheese on top.
You may need
You will need a hand mixer (aka. an immersion mixer) for this recipe. We love the KitchenAid hand mixer. It is sturdy and gets the job done (it’s also really cute and matches the rest of our KitchenAid kitchen appliances and Le Creuset cookware in red cerise).
To follow this recipe exactly, you will need Ras El Hanout spices. This is a mixture of delicious spices. We use this organic Ras El Hanout.
Use these vegetarian bouillon cubes to make this soup 100% vegetarian.
Leek Sweet Potato Soup Wine Pairing
We highly recommend a full bodied Merlot to go with this soup, such as this Altos de San Esteban La Perra Gorda 2015 (Spain).
- 3 small leeks (washed and cut into 1 inch slices)
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 onion (peeled and cut into 4 parts)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and cut in half)
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 liter of cold water
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1 tsp of organic Ras El Hanout
- ¼ tsp of hot chili flakes
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 5cl of liquid cream
- 2 tbsp of grated cheese (we used Emmental cheese, but you could grate your favorite cheese on top)
- Put the leeks, sweet potato, onion and garlic in a large pot.
- Add the cold water.
- Add salt and bouillon cube and heat on medium heat for 1 hour.
- Mix with a hand mixer.
- Add pepper, ras el hanout and mix.
- Serve with hot chili flakes, cream and grated cheese.
IF YOU LOVE THIS SPLIT PEA SOUP, YOU WILL LOVE THESE OTHER TASTY SOUP IDEAS!
Alix & Hugo Strickland Frénoy are a married couple, recipe developers, photographers and lifelong explorers. They created A Hedgehog in the Kitchen to share their passion for healthy, French & International recipes and to inspire you to make simple and delicious homemade food. They also share Parisian restaurant and hotel recommendations as well as their travel adventures on the blog. The blog is home to 200+ articles featuring farm to table recipes, free meal plans & printables to help you become a better homecook and travel recommendations to help you experience Paris and abroad like a local. Sign up to receive 2 free recipes per week as well as food travel tips gathered from our adventures.
We shared this post at #SaucySaturdays.
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 2 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!