Wholewheat Indian palak paneer pizza filled with tasty and nutritious spinach and cheese. Perfect easy weeknight dinner or healthy lunch.
Indian curry taken up a notch
The star ingredient in this tasty pizza is the palak paneer. Palak paneer is one of our all-time favorite Indian curries. It is a staple of our diet all year long. Creamy spinach and cheese filled with delicious Indian spices makes for a really lovely meal.
Why we love making Indian curries
We love making Indian curries because they are hearty and nutritious and so good as leftovers the next day! It is so much fun to try different cuisines from around the world and to try new cooking techniques. What are your favorite International foods to make at home?
When we prepare palak paneer, we always have lots of tasty leftovers which are delicious cold or reheated the next day. We were looking for other yummy ways to enjoy palak paneer leftovers and we came up with this amazing wholewheat palak paneer pizza recipe.
How to make this palak paneer pizza
To make the pizza, you could use a premade pizza crust or you could make your own. We do both, but made a homemade dough for this particular recipe. We definitely believe that homemade pizza crust is tastier, so if you feel like going for it, we highly recommend it!
All the spinach and cheese in this tasty palak paneer curry… And that crust!
Looking for more delicious Indian recipes? These are some of our favorites!
- Palak paneer (spinach & cheese curry)
- Homemade cheese naan
- Raita (yogurt & cucumber dip/sauce)
- Aloo Gobi (potato & cauliflower curry)
Pin for later!
- 2.25 cups (300g) of wholewheat flour
- 5oz of lukewarm water
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of castor sugar
- 1.5 tsp of dried yeast
- 1oz of olive oil
- 300g of fresh spinach
- 100g of laughing cow cheese, another soft cheese or paneer
- 1 red onion (peeled and sliced)
- 1 garlic clove (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 ripe tomatoes (dice) or 150g/3/4 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1inch of fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 fresh chili pepper (finely chopped)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare the leaven : add ¼ cup of flour, yeast, sugar and 2oz of lukewarm water in a bowl and combine the ingredients together. Leave the mixture to rest for 10-15 minutes. The mixture is ready when it forms a brown dough with bubbles.
- Add flour and salt in the bowl of your Kitchen Aid and mix slowly.
- Pour the leaven in the bowl and continue to mix slowly.
- Pour in the olive oil and continue to mix.
- Pour the rest of the water in little by little and continue to mix slowly for 10 minutes.
- The dough must be smooth and springy.
- If the dough is too dry, add more water. If the dough is too wet, add more flour. Remember, whether adding water or flour, always add little by little.
- Cover the bowl with the doug inside and leave to rest in a warm place for at least one hour. (You can create a warm environment in your oven by heating your oven on low heat (80°F/30°C) for approximately 5 minutes, then turning off your oven and leaving the bowl to sit inside.)
- The dough will double in size.
- Preheat your oven on maximum heat, our oven maximum is 570°F (300°C).
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on an oiled sheet of baking paper or a silpat.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin.
- Now your pizza is ready to add you palak paneer topping!
- Remove the spinach stems.
- Heat olive oil in a casserole on medium heat.
- Add onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add paprika, turmeric, garam masala, ginger, pepper and garlic and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the spinach in 3 parts, waiting until the spinach softens before adding the next part.
- Add the paneer (or cheese) and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the fresh chili and tomatoes and cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Spread the palak paneer over the pizza dough.
- Bake on maximum heat for 5-10 minutes depending on your oven.
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 3 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!