Chorizo and mushroom risotto recipe. Simple and delicious, perfectly creamy Italian risotto with a twist. A lovely meal to share with family and friends.
Hugo learned to make this chorizo and mushroom risotto from an older man on a ship. It’s creamy, filled with the richness of chorizo and mushroom and the perfect dish for a cool Autumn day or a warm Spring evening. Everything is served on a bed of baby spinach and it is oh-so-good.
This chorizo and mushroom risotto recipe was inspired by 2 weeks that Hugo spent at sea. What? Hugo went out to sea. Was I there? Well, unfortunately, no…
A little back story : from pretty much the first day we met, Hugo and I have been inseparable. We have done everything together, moved in together after being together just 5 months, gotten married, started this blog, traveled a lot and so many other beautiful adventures.
We believe that every moment in life is an opportunity for something wonderful and magical and we try to live life to the fullest every day. We have shared every day since the day we started dating minus two weeks. Two weeks when Hugo went sailing with his dad and some of his dad’s friends.
They had already planned their vacation before Hugo and I met and of course Hugo went. We had been together for 6 months and had only spent our working days apart up until that point. It was basically the two longest weeks ever.
We missed each other so much. We couldn’t really talk ’cause you know Hugo was at sea. He wrote me a message every chance he got. He sent me a postcard and he wrote “I miss you so much. 14 days without you has been 14 days too many. Let’s never be apart again.” It was very, very sweet.
Although we missed each other terribly, something great came from that trip : Hugo learned to make chorizo and mushroom risotto. That was pretty great! As soon as he came home, he made it for me.
We are sitting here tonight, having a glass of our favorite rosé cider writing to you from our home in Paris, reminiscing about that trip, those early days of our relationship and how this yummy chorizo and mushroom risotto recipe was born.
For those of you have lived on a sailboat, you know that cooking while sailing isn’t always easy. You have to manage the movement of the boat, not getting sick while spending all that time inside the sailboat, chopping and all kinds of preparation with very little prep space and keeping ingredients in a pretty small refridgerator.
Hugo, his dad and his dad’s friends somehow manage this with a tremendous amount of grace. We had the pleasure of all sailing together (family and friends) last Summer to the South of France, Corsica and Cinque Terre, Italy and it was an amazing adventure, but that it for another series of posts!
What makes this a superstar Chorizo and mushroom risotto recipe?
- Chorizo and mushrooms go together so well. They create a Heavenly flavor!
- We love the combination of cooked and raw mushrooms.
- One word : chorizo. Love it so much!
- ½ cup of arborio rice
- 1 cup of chorizo (sliced and cut in half)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- ½ cup of white wine
- 4 cups of hot vegetable stock
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan
- 2 mushrooms (finely sliced)
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a casserole on high heat.
- Add onion and salt and cook for 2 minutes.d images, links and recipe headings. Find out how..
- Add the chorizo and cook for another 2 minutes.
- When the onion becomes translucent, add the rice.
- Turn the heat down to low.
- Add the garlic and cook until the rice starts to change color.
- Turn the heat to high heat and pour in the wine.
- Leave to cook until the rice absorbs all of the wine.
- Add a ladle of hot vegetable stock and stir until the stock is absorbed by the rice. Repeat until the rice becomes as soft as you like. (We prefer our risotto al dente.)
- Add the Parmesan and turn the heat off. Stir and cover.
- Serve with on a bed of raw baby spinach. Top with vinaigrette and raw mushrooms.
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 2 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!