These are our 10 rules for healthy cooking! What are yours?
1. EAT ORGANIC. We use 99% organic ingredients for all of our recipes. (Sometimes, a certain spice or imported product is not available in an organic version, otherwise, no exceptions.)
2. EAT FOODS WITH SHORT INGREDIENTS LISTS. Avoid GMOs, preservatives and a long list of chemicals – always. (By eating organic, you naturally avoid these ingredients. See #1.)
3. EAT LOCAL. We shop local when we can. We live in Paris and love supporting French farmers and producers. We buy most of our ingredients at local markets (even when we travel) and the rest of the time shop at Naturalia (an all organic healthfood chain – think the smaller, French version of Whole Foods).
Photo credit : @bmgilby
4. EAT SEASONALLY. By eating seasonally, you are sure to 1) eat fresher, healthier food at the time in the year when it’s best, 2) eat the foods that your body needs at any particular time of the year.
5. EAT GREEN. Make sure you are eating enough green, leafy vegetables. Raw is great but cooked veggies have a lot of vitamins too. Get started with our palak paneer recipe.
6. STAY HYDRATED. Drinking water throughout the day is the best thing you can do for your health. As soon as you up your daily water intake, you will feel better almost immediately.
7. DON’T FORGET TO EAT FRUITS. We can get so focused sometimes on eating healthy veggies that we can forget to eat fruits. I love eating fruit throughout the day. Every season produces delicious fruits, so check out what is seasonal where you live and go buy a handful of whatever it is. Eat it at your desk, out on a picnic with your love or after a great workout.
8. COOK WITH SPICES. There are so many health benefits to cooking with spices. We created a free spice guide for you. You can download it here.
9. EAT REAL FOOD. Cut out processed foods that come in packages and feel your happiness and energy levels riiiiiise!
10. LEARN TO LOVE TO COOK. Ok, this one goes without saying because if you’re hanging out on our blog, you probably already love to cook! Making the choice to start cooking and to learn to make some homemade meals that you love will help you stay healthier throughout your lifetime. Cooking is also really fun! It’s one of our favorite activities to do as a couple!
What steps all you already taking towards a healthy diet? Do you have other healthy food rules you live by? Share your tips in the comments! Let’s learn from one another.
Pin for later!
Receive healthy, real food, International recipes to satisfy your wanderlust for FREE 3 times per week
Sign up to receive our recipes and FREE cooking resources available exclusively to our subscribers!